Once On A Barren Hill - The Story of Our Lady of Guadualupe
Canonization of Juan Diego - Catholic News on Guadalupe
APOSTOLIC VISIT TO TORONTO,
TO CIUDAD DE GUATEMALA AND TO CIUDAD DE MEXICO
CANONIZATION OF JUAN DIEGO CUAUHTLATOATZIN
HOMILY OF THE HOLY FATHER JOHN PAUL II
Mexico City, Wednesday July 31, 2002
1. "I thank you, Father ... that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to babes; yea, Father, for such was your gracious will" (Mt 11:25-26).
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
These words of Jesus in today's Gospel are a special invitation to us to praise and thank God for the gift of the first indigenous Saint of the American Continent.
With deep joy I have come on pilgrimage to this Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe, the Marian heart of Mexico and of America, to proclaim the holiness of Juan Diego Cuauhtlatoatzin, the simple, humble Indian who contemplated the sweet and serene face of Our Lady of Tepeyac, so dear to the people of Mexico.
2. I am grateful for the kind words of Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera, Archbishop of Mexico City, and for the warm hospitality of the people of this Primatial Archdiocese: my cordial greeting goes to everyone. I also greet with affection Cardinal Ernesto Corripio Ahumada, Archbishop Emeritus of Mexico City, and the other Cardinals, as well as the Bishops of Mexico, of America, of the Philippines and of other places in the world. I am likewise particularly grateful to the President and the civil Authorities for their presence at this celebration.
Today I address a very affectionate greeting to the many indigenous people who have come from the different regions of the country, representing the various ethnic groups and cultures which make up the rich, multifaceted Mexican reality. The Pope expresses his closeness to them, his deep respect and admiration, and receives them fraternally in the Lord's name.
3. What was Juan Diego like- Why did God look upon him- The Book of Sirach, as we have heard, teaches us that God alone "is mighty; he is glorified by the humble" (cf. Sir 3:20). Saint Paul's words, also proclaimed at this celebration, shed light on the divine way of bringing about salvation: "God chose what is low and despised in the world ... so that no human being might boast in the presence of God" (1 Cor 1:28,29).
It is moving to read the accounts of Guadalupe, sensitively written and steeped in tenderness. In them the Virgin Mary, the handmaid "who glorified the Lord" (Lk 1:46), reveals herself to Juan Diego as the Mother of the true God. As a sign, she gives him precious roses, and as he shows them to the Bishop, he discovers the blessed image of Our Lady imprinted on his tilma.
"The Guadalupe Event", as the Mexican Episcopate has pointed out, "meant the beginning of evangelization with a vitality that surpassed all expectations. Christ's message, through his Mother, took up the central elements of the indigenous culture, purified them and gave them the definitive sense of salvation" (14 May 2002, No. 8). Consequently Guadalupe and Juan Diego have a deep ecclesial and missionary meaning and are a model of perfectly inculturated evangelization.
4. "The Lord looks down from heaven, he sees all the sons of men" (Ps 33:13), we recited with the Psalmist, once again confessing our faith in God, who makes no distinctions of race or culture. In accepting the Christian message without forgoing his indigenous identity, Juan Diego discovered the profound truth of the new humanity, in which all are called to be children of God. Thus he facilitated the fruitful meeting of two worlds and became the catalyst for the new Mexican identity, closely united to Our Lady of Guadalupe, whose mestizo face expresses her spiritual motherhood which embraces all Mexicans. This is why the witness of his life must continue to be the inspiration for the building up of the Mexican nation, encouraging brotherhood among all its children and ever helping to reconcile Mexico with its origins, values and traditions.
The noble task of building a better Mexico, with greater justice and solidarity, demands the cooperation of all. In particular, it is necessary today to support the indigenous peoples in their legitimate aspirations, respecting and defending the authentic values of each ethnic group. Mexico needs its indigenous peoples and these peoples need Mexico!
Beloved bothers and sisters of every ethnic background of Mexico and America, today, in praising the Indian Juan Diego, I want to express to all of you the closeness of the Church and the Pope, embracing you with love and encouraging you to overcome with hope the difficult times you are going through.
5. At this decisive moment in Mexico's history, having already crossed the threshold of the new millennium, I entrust to the powerful intercession of Saint Juan Diego the joys and hopes, the fears and anxieties of the beloved Mexican people, whom I carry in my heart.
Blessed Juan Diego, a good, Christian Indian, whom simple people have always considered a saint! We ask you to accompany the Church on her pilgrimage in Mexico, so that she may be more evangelizing and more missionary each day. Encourage the Bishops, support the priests, inspire new and holy vocations, help all those who give their lives to the cause of Christ and the spread of his Kingdom.
Happy Juan Diego, true and faithful man! We entrust to you our lay brothers and sisters so that, feeling the call to holiness, they may imbue every area of social life with the spirit of the Gospel. Bless families, strengthen spouses in their marriage, sustain the efforts of parents to give their children a Christian upbringing. Look with favour upon the pain of those who are suffering in body or in spirit, on those afflicted by poverty, loneliness, marginalization or ignorance. May all people, civic leaders and ordinary citizens, always act in accordance with the demands of justice and with respect for the dignity of each person, so that in this way peace may be reinforced.
Beloved Juan Diego, "the talking eagle"! Show us the way that leads to the "Dark Virgin" of Tepeyac, that she may receive us in the depths of her heart, for she is the loving, compassionate Mother who guides us to the true God. Amen.
THE WONDER OF GUADALUPE
Book by Francis Johnston
This relatively short book is widely regarded as the best on the apparition of Our Lady in 1531 in Mexico City. Tells the complete story, from the Conquest of Mexico and the conversion of the Aztecs, through the development of the devotion and into the modern era. An enthralling story and an essential devotion for our times!
TAN - 143 Pp. PB. 53 Illus.
How to order this Book
THE BOOK OF DESTINY - Book By Fr. H.B. Kramer
CATHOLIC PROPHECY THE COMING CHASTISEMENT By Yves Dupont
FORTY DREAMS OF ST. JOHN BOSCO By St. John Bosco
HISTORY OF ANTICHRIST By Fr. P. Huchede
LIFE OF ANNE CATHERINE EMMERICH By V. Rev. C. E. Schmoeger
THE PROPHECIES OF ST. MALACHY
PROPHECY FOR TODAY By Edward Connor (compiler)
THE PROPHETS AND OUR TIMES By Fr. R. Gerald Culleton
THE REIGN OF ANTICHRIST By Fr. R. Gerald Culleton
Divine Mercy and Sr. Faustina
Padre Pio (Videos)
Medjugorje - The Queen of Peace (Videos, Books and Audio Tapes)
Prophecy of The Third Secret of Fatima
The Kingdom of the Bride
- Romans 1:17. For the justice of God is revealed therein, from faith unto faith, as it is written: The just man liveth by faith. - 1:18. For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and injustice of those men that detain the truth of God in injustice: - 1:19. Because that which is known of God is manifest in them. For God hath manifested it unto them. - 1:20. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made. His eternal power also and divinity: so that they are inexcusable. - 1:21. Because that, when they knew God, they have not glorified him as God or given thanks: but became vain in their thoughts. And their foolish heart was darkened. - 1:22. For, professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. - 1:23. And they changed the glory of the incorruptible God into the likeness of the image of a corruptible man and of birds, and of fourfooted beasts and of creeping things. - 1:24. Wherefore, God gave them up to the desires of their heart, unto uncleanness: to dishonour their own bodies among themselves. - 1:25. Who changed the truth of God into a lie and worshipped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. - 1:26. For this cause, God delivered them up to shameful affections. For their women have changed the natural use into that use which is against nature. - - 1:27. And, in like manner, the men also, leaving the natural use of the women, have burned in their lusts, one towards another: men with men, working that which is filthy and receiving in themselves the recompense which was due to their error. - 1:28. And as they liked not to have God in their knowledge, God delivered them up to a reprobate sense, to do those things which are not convenient.
Photos from movie "The Passion of the Christ" directed by Mel Gibson
Text of The Third Secret of Fatima - Complete Report
Books and Videos on Padre Pio
Videos and Books on Sr. Faustina and Divine Mercy plus Diary of Sr. Faustina
ROMAN CATHOLIC BIBLES - Family Bibles, Spanish Bibles, Church, School and Study Bible Edidions
Bishop Fulton Sheen - Audio CD, Videos and Books
THE DOUAY-RHEIMS BIBLE
Why Should You Read Only the Douay-Rheims Translation of the Bible-
Free MP3 Music Downloads
"Life is good, enjoy it while you can"
Original Songs and Music
Home Page / Statues / Crucifixes / Catholic Resources / Catholic Videos / Catholic Books / Catholic Audio Tapes / Christian Music / Catholic News / Angels / Antisemitism / Animated 1 / Animated 2 / Animated Films for Children - The New Testament / Animated - The Old Testament / Apparitions of Blessed Virgin Mary - Ave Maria / Apologetics / Art Gallery / Audio Tapes / The Beatification of Padre Pio - by Award British Film Director J. Paddy Nolan / Hilaire Belloc / Bible / Bibles / Books on Bible / Bishop Fulton Sheen / Books / Books on Divine Mercy / A Catholic Theme Park / Children and Youth - Animated / Church Documents / Church History / Creation vs Evolution / The Creature from Jekyll Island / Devil - Satan / Catholic Family Resources / Divine Mercy / Diary of Sister Faustina / Dr. Bernard Nathanson / Errors - Problems of Modern Times / Eucharist and the Mass / Family and Marriage / Fr. Aloysius Ellacuria - American Padre Pio / Freemasonry / Garabandal / Gifts / Gods of the New Age / Global Tyranny / Health / Hell, Heaven and Purgatory / Home Schooling / John Paul II Collection / Joan of Arc / Journeys of the Soul / Latest Message / Marianland / Marian / Marian Videos / Mariology / Charismatic / Marx and Satan / Medjugorje Miracles and the Message / Miracles in Catholic Church / Money System / Mother Teresa / Music / Free MP3 Music Downloads/ Yoga Conspiracy of the New Age Movement / One World Government / Padre Pio (Videos) / Padre Pio (Books) / Pious Publications / The Priesthood / Pro-Life Videos and DVD / Pro-Life Books / Prophecy / Prophecy of The Third Secret of Fatima / Rafael's Art Gallery / Prof. Libor Brom / Religious Education-Adult / Religious Education-Grade School / Religious Education - High School / Rock/Pop Music, MTV, Hollywood, Satan and Antichrist / ROSARY / Saints Part 1 / Saints Part 2 / Saints Part 3 / St. Patrick Apostle of Ireland / Audio CD of Scott Hahn, Kimberly Hahn and Bishop Sheen - Audio CDs and DVDs / Shocking Videos / Spanish Videos / Spiritual Life / Sr. Faustina / Stigmata and Stigmatists / Theology / True Church and Bible / The UN's Crusade Against God and Family / Vatican II / Videos - Main Section / J. Paddy Nolan / Wayne Weible - Medjugorje Apparitions - Medjugorje / Latest news / Sin and Repentance / Fr. Faber / Marian Videos and DVDs as Seen on EWTN Roman Catholic TV Network of Mother Angelica / Mother Teresa /
The Reign of the Antichrist - DVD - Shocking Speech by Fr. O'Connor
The Reign of Antichrist - Books
Free MP3 Music Downloads
Full Text of the Third Secret of Fatima not revealed?
In a 1980 interview for the German magazine Stimme des Glaubens published in October 1981, John Paul II was asked explicitly to speak about the third secret. He said: "Because of the seriousness of its contents, in order not to encourage the world wide power of Communism to carry out certain coups, my predecessors in the chair of Peter have diplomatically preferred to withhold its publication. On the other hand, it should be sufficient for all Christians to know this much: if there is a message in which it is said that the oceans will flood entire sections of the earth; that, from one moment to the other, millions of people will perish... there is no longer any point in really wanting to publish this secret message. Many want to know merely out of curiosity, or because of their taste for sensationalism, but they forget that 'to know' implies for them a responsibility. It is dangerous to want to satisfy one's curiosity only, if one is convinced that we can do nothing against a catastrophe that has been predicted." He held up his rosary and stated "Here is the remedy against this evil. Pray, pray and ask for nothing else. Put everything in the hands of the Mother of God." Asked what would happen in the Church, he said: "We must be prepared to undergo great trials in the not-too-distant future; trials that will require us to be ready to give up even our lives, and a total gift of self to Christ and for Christ. Through your prayers and mine, it is possible to alleviate this tribulation, but it is no longer possible to avert it, because it is only in this way that the Church can be effectively renewed. How many times, indeed, has the renewal of the Church been effected in blood? This time, again, it will not be otherwise. We must be strong, we must prepare ourselves, we must entrust ourselves to Christ and to His holy Mother, and we must be attentive, very attentive, to the prayer of the Rosary.
Lúcia herself is reported to have explicitly stated that the Third Secret contains Apocalyptic content. According to one source, when Lúcia was asked about the Third Secret, she said it was "in the Gospels and in the Apocalypse", and at one point she had even specified Apocalypse chapters 8 to 13, a range that includes Apocalypse 12:4, the chapter and verse cited by Pope John Paul II in his homily in Fatima on 13 May 2000.
A news article quoted former Philippine ambassador to the Vatican, Howard Dee, as saying that Cardinal Ratzinger had personally confirmed to him that the messages of Akita and Fatima are "essentially the same."
A TERRIBLE WARNING - THE MESSAGE OF OUR LADY OF AKITA, JAPAN: The third message on October 13, 1973, the actual anniversary of the final visions and miracle of Fatima is as follows: "As I told you, if men do not repent and better themselves, the Father will inflict a terrible punishment on all humanity. It will be a punishment greater than the deluge, such as one will never have seen before. Fire will fall from the sky and will wipe out a great part of humanity, the good as well as the bad, sparing neither priests nor faithful. The survivors will find themselves so desolate that they will envy the dead. The only arms which will remain for you will be the Rosary and the Sign left by my Son. Each day, recite the prayers of the Rosary. With the Rosary, pray for the Pope, the bishops and the priests. The work of the devil will infiltrate even into the Church in such a way that one will see cardinals opposing cardinals, and bishops against other bishops. The priests who venerate me will be scorned and opposed by their Confreres. The Church and altars will be vandalized. The Church will be full of those who accept compromises and the demon will press many priests and consecrated souls to leave the service of the Lord.
From Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in Vatican
Text of The Third Secret of Fatima:
COMPLETE TRANSLATION OF ORIGINAL TEXT
VATICAN CITY, JUN 26, 2000 (VIS) - Given below is the complete translation of the original Portuguese text of the third part of the secret of Fatima, revealed to the three shepherd children at Cova da Iria-Fatima on July 13, 1917, and committed to paper by Sr. Lucia on January 3, 1944:
"I write in obedience to you, my God, who command me to do so through his Excellency the Bishop of Leiria and through your Most Holy Mother and mine.
"After the two parts which I have already explained, at the left of Our Lady and a little above, we saw an Angel with a flaming sword in his left hand; flashing, it gave out flames that looked as though they would set the world on fire; but they died out in contact with the splendor that Our Lady radiated towards him from her right hand: pointing to the earth with his right hand, the Angel cried out in a loud voice: 'Penance, Penance, Penance!'. And we saw in an immense light that is God: 'something similar to how people appear in a mirror when they pass in front of it' a Bishop dressed in White 'we had the impression that it was the Holy Father'. Other Bishops, Priests, men and women Religious going up a steep mountain, at the top of which there was a big Cross of rough-hewn trunks as of a cork-tree with the bark; before reaching there the Holy Father passed through a big city half in ruins and half trembling with halting step, afflicted with pain and sorrow, he prayed for the souls of the corpses he met on his way; having reached the top of the mountain, on his knees at the foot of the big Cross he was killed by a group of soldiers who fired bullets and arrows at him, and in the same way there died one after another the other Bishops, Priests, men and women Religious, and various lay people of different ranks and positions. Beneath the two arms of the Cross there were two Angels each with a crystal aspersorium in his hand, in which they gathered up the blood of the Martyrs and with it sprinkled the souls that were making their way to God."
.../THIRD SECRET/... VIS 000626 (380)
Prophecy of Bishop Christianos Ageda (12th Century)
In the 20th century there will be wars and fury that will last a long time; whole provinces shall be emptied of their inhabitants, and kingdoms shall be thrown into confusion. In many places the land shall be left untilled, and there shall be great slaughters of the upper class. The right hand of the world shall fear the left, and the north shall prevail over the south.